Staying safe from flu viruses

What is Influenza, and how to protect yourself?



The family of viruses that influenza, or the ‘flu’, is a part of is large. You may have heard that there are different types of influenza viruses — particularly influenza A and influenza B, as well as the outbreak of the new Corona virus (CoV). It is estimated that influenza A infections account for 75% of confirmed seasonal influenza infections overall. Influenza B infections account for the remaining 25%. While most confirmed infections during flu season will be influenza A, the occurrence of influenza B infections can increase late in the flu season. In addition to the new Corona virus, it is now imperative that you are aware of the symptoms and learn how to protect yourself.

SYMPTOMS OF THE FLU

The main symptoms of flu are listed below.



  • Fever

  • Dry cough

  • Headache

  • Aching muscles

  • Tiredness and weakness

  • Loss of appetite

  • Nausea and vomiting


STAY SAFE
Here are ways you can prevent it:


  • Wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds

  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands

  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick

  • Avoid contact with animals, particularly poultry excretions and droppings

  • Keep up to date with your government's travel warnings

If you are experiencing symptoms, please visit a General Practitioner for diagnosis and treatment.